Why should I join the National Organ Donor Register?
Joining the National Organ Donor Register gives you and your next of kin the peace of mind that your organs will only be donated if you have given your consent. Entering «Yes» means you consent to an organ and/or tissue donation, while entering «No» means that no organs or tissue will be removed.
And: Your entry in the register clearly outlines your wishes. Ultimately, it is about honouring your decision as to whether your organs and tissue may be removed or not.
Other advantages of the National Organ Donor Register:
- The register constitutes the urgently needed updating of the donor card and permits an up-to-date manifestation of intent.
- An entry in the register creates clarity. In the event of an emergency your wishes can be determined beyond any doubt.
- Joining the National Organ Donor Register gives you, your next of kin and the medical professionals peace of mind: entering «Yes» means you consent to an organ donation, while entering «No» means that no organs and/or tissue will be removed.
- By joining the register, you will relieve your next of kin and the medical professionals of the burden of having to make this decision. In the event of a terminal diagnosis and/or a decision to cease treatment, the attending medical professionals can ask Swisstransplant to check the register and thus confirm your wishes beyond any doubt. Next of kin therefore also have peace of mind that they are respecting your wishes.
- There is always a discussion with the next of kin, with or without an entry in the register. Your registration entry does, however, constitute a clearly expressed wish that has to be taken into account in the discussion. In the event of an emergency it is ultimately about respecting your wishes.
- The decision is recorded in a secure database.
You can specify the following in the Organ Donor Register:
In the National Organ Donor Register you can record your decision for or against organ and/or tissue donation. You have the following concrete options:
- Yes to the removal of all organs and tissue
- Yes to selected organs and tissue
- No to the removal of organs and tissue
- You choose a specific person to make the decision for you