Organ Donation Switzerland: portrait
Organ Donation Switzerland consists of Swisstransplant, the Swiss National Foundation for Organ Donation and Transplantation, and the Comité National du Don d’Organes (CNDO), which is the National Committee for Organ Donation. The CNDO is the governing body of the five organ donation networks which collectively ensure organ and tissue donation throughout Switzerland.
The five organ donation networks and the CNDO, under the overarching national management of Swisstransplant, implement the requirements of their stakeholders and develop organ and tissue donation in a coordinated and systematic manner as the organization Organ Donation Switzerland. Both the national perspective and the regional circumstances are taken into account with this organizational structure. In addition, they are responsible for the transparent and earmarked use of financial resources, and promote cooperation between the departments involved.
Organ Donation Switzerland implements the legal requirements of the Swiss Transplantation Act and is committed to the promotion and advancement of organ donation.
Organ Donation Switzerland: foundation and objective
Organ Donation Switzerland was founded on 1 January 2019 by Swisstransplant, the Swiss National Foundation for Organ Donation and Transplantation, and the Comité National du Don d’Organes (CNDO), which is the National Committee for Organ Donation, in order to align organ and tissue donation in Switzerland with the challenges of the future. The core concept of Organ Donation Switzerland can be summarized in one sentence: “Giving to help – Organ Donation Switzerland: professional and transparent in the service of patients.”
The primary objective of Organ Donation Switzerland is to provide respectful and holistic care to potential organ and tissue donors and their next of kin. The focus is on the potential donor’s wishes, which must be implemented as effectively as possible.
Organ Donation Switzerland pursues the following long-term objectives:
- Organ and tissue donation is a commonly accepted issue in Switzerland. The Swiss population is informed about organ and tissue donation. Each person can make a conscious decision as to whether or not to donate organs and tissue, and records his or her decision or informs his or her next of kin.
- Organ and tissue donation is part of end-of-life care. Organ and tissue donation after death (post-mortem) is an integral part of comprehensive medical end-of-life care.
- Organ and tissue donation focuses even more on the ethical demands of patients and of their next of kin.
- Organ and tissue donation is organized throughout Switzerland in such a way as to best meet the wishes of potential organ donors.
- Organ and tissue donation enables patients who require a donor organ to live and enjoy quality of life.